MENU
HOME

ABOUT US »

VISIT MONTENEGRO
ABOUT MONTENEGRO

CITIES & REGIONS »

MONASTERIES

 

Churches and Cathedrals

 

Mosques and Towers

NATURE »

CLIMATE & WEATHER
GASTRONOMY »
LEISURE & FUN »

TRANSPORT »

ACCOMMODATION »
TRANSFERS
CRUISING
EXCURSIONS »

 

contact

 

Tel: + 382 78 119 110
Cell. + 382 67 733 177

 

E-mail: info@adrialine.me

 

Tree Bell Tower St. Lucas Church Kotor

 

 

St. Luka’s Church Kotor

 

 

 

This square in the north part of the city takes its name from the old church

dedicated to St Luka which can be seen in its center.

 

The church was built in 1195 by tradesman Mauro Caccafrangi and his wife Bona “during the reign of Grand Zupan Nemanja and his son Vukan” as it stated on the plaque above the west entrance. The church was used by Chatolich until the mid 17th century, when it was handed over for use by the orthodox population from the vicinity who found refuge in the town during the war with the Turks. However, the Catholich retained an altar in the church where once a year their service would follow the Orthodox one. This duality lasted until the French occupation (1807-14) when the church was turned over entirely to the Orthodox, who by the time formed the majority of the citizenry but could use only this church. Thus the church has two altars – the catholic and orthodox.

 

The church draws on Byzantine inspiration (cupola) but is Romanesque in details (two-light windows on the west facade and the apes). This is a modest one-nave church whose main nave is longitudinally divided into three parts. The chapel of St Spyridon was adjoined to the north side of the church in 1747 and at about the same time the church also received the baroque bell gable ”on distaff”.

 

Inside stands the gilded iconostasis topped by a splendid crucifix, the work finished 1710 by Dimitrije Dascal, the father of Rafailovic school of icon painting. The church altar was the work of Dimitrije Dascal also. The iconostasis standing in the chapel is a master work of Italo-Cretan painting from the mid 18th century with a standing figure of “Chris the High Priest”. In a niche to the right of the iconostasis is the only surviving fragment of the frescoes painted around the year 1200. The artist painted around western saints - St Catherine, St Clement the Pope and St Marina yet in the manner of Orthodox iconography. The floor of the church is made out of gravestone above the collective graves of Kotor citizens, since the church and its yard served as a cemetery until the 1930's.

 

 

St. Luka’s Church Kotor

 

 

St. Luka’s Church Frescoes

 

 

St. Luka’s Church Kotor Icons

 

 

St. Luka’s Iconostasis Kotor

 

 

St. Luka’s Church Kotor Altar

 

 

St. Luka’s Church Kotor Sign

Ortodox Church St. Lucas Kotor
St. Luka’s square Kotor
travel info  
United Kingdom France Italy Germany Russia Czech Montenegro
St. Luka’s Church Kotor
početna o nama servisi Destinations Transport Contacts

 

 

HOME | ABOUT US | SERVICES | DESTINATIONS | TRANSPORT| CONTACTS
Copyright © Adria Line DMC 2016 | www.adria.travel